Labour pledges to:
Get the social and affordable housing we need with a Council building plan and require more from private developers.
Put residents first with retrofitting, proper housing repairs and estate offices. Introduce a leaseholders charter.
Protect renters and tackle poor-quality lettings with energy efficiency improvements and action on rogue landlords.
Housing Management That Puts Residents First
- Improve housing management to deliver more responsive repairs and better managed major works.
- Genuine engagement with Council and housing association tenants and leaseholders.
- Protect tenant and leaseholder rights and limit service charge rises.
Building the Homes We Need
- End the cosy ‘business as usual’ relationship with developer.
- Make building new Council (social) and lower rent homes the Council’s top policy priority.
- All regeneration has to be supported by the local residents it aims to help.
- Seek to access more funding from the Mayor of London and central government to supplement the Council’s own funding resources.
Solving Homelessness and Rough Sleeping
- Urgently overhaul Westminster’s statutory homelessness strategy and find ways to support Westminster residents who need temporary accommodation closer to home.
- Reduce number of residents placed far from Westminster.
- Collaborate more closely with the Mayor of London, other London Boroughs, and homelessness charities to create a better system for supporting rough sleepers.
Private Sector Housing That Works For Residents
- Take a more proactive approach towards the private housing market and find ways to support our renters and help local homeowners.
- Do the most we can under current government regulations to protect private sector tenants in Westminster, while campaigning for the right to do more.
- Ensure office-residential conversions meet space and quality standards.