Westminster Labour Councillors work with hundreds of families each year who are trying to navigate their way through bidding for a new home through the Housing Options Service or who are being placed in temporary accommodation. As well as building the homes we need here in Westminster, there is more that a Labour Council could do to help. This includes:
- Provide long-term residents of Westminster more bidding points in the bidding system;
- Give the children of tenants more opportunities to stay in Westminster with a revised family quota;
- Create a stronger local lettings policy for Estate Regeneration and local infill schemes, including for those in long-term temporary accommodation that gets demolished;
- Ensure a proper grieving period for families forced to move after the death of the tenant;
- Invest in buying a significant number of new properties, particularly in Westminster, for use as temporary accommodation;
- End the targets for private sector discharge for homeless families and provide more support to stay in or near Westminster for those with children in local schools;
- Ensure people who have long-standing connections to Westminster can stay on the housing waiting list even if they are moved into a private rented home.