The impact of last night’s flash floods have caused huge problems for hundreds of residents and local businesses who are in need of support from the council and other relevant authorities. There are many issues that need to be addressed over the coming days and weeks about the state of the flood prevention measures from Thames Water (and others) and wider issues of emergency preparedness.
However right now your Labour ward councillors are focusing on a number of issues including:
- Assisting individual residents who have been flooded
- Ensuring the council’s adult services and housing teams are contacting vulnerable residents and council tenants in the main flood zone and that housing continue their efforts to tackle drainage issues that have been caused on estates across the city.
- Asking for Notting Hill Genesis (the landlord for many flats impacted by the flood) to provide additional support and they have told us that they have a team dedicated to focus on their response.
- Calling on the council to provide additional support through local support payments if required and to make sure residents who need emergency support are able to access this assistance. See: https://www.westminster.gov.uk/benefits/apply-local-support-payment
- Asking the council to contact local businesses hit by the flood and to explore ways to provide them with assistance where needed.
Information from the council about the support available will be put up on the website here: https://www.westminster.gov.uk/news/flash-flooding-westminster and the contact numbers are 0207 641 6000 or you can call 0800 358 3783 if you are a council tenant needing emergency assistance.
Ward Councillor contact details are available here if you would like to contact us directly: https://www.westminsterlabour.org.uk/category/team/