News from your Church Street Labour Councillors Aicha Less, Matt Noble and Aziz Toki
General Election result
Karen Buck was re-elected as Member of Parliament for Westminster North on 12thDecember. The full result was:
- Karen Buck, Labour, 23,240
- Jamie Macfarlane, Conservative, 12,481
- George Lee, Liberal Democrat, 5,593
- Holly Robinson, Green, 1,064
- Cyrus Parvin, Brexit Party, 418
- Gabriela Fajardo Palacios, Christian Peoples Alliance, 115
She said afterwards: “It’s an absolute honour” to be re-elected to represent Westminster North.
“Whilst I am delighted tonight it is clearly a very bad night indeed for the party I represent and love and while some of that is due to the challenges of Brexit which have divided us in Labour, divided the country it is clearly not the only reason we performed so badly and starting tomorrow we have to learn the lessons of this defeat and face up to it.”
The ‘Ham & High’ reports:
“Freezing’ pensioners at Lisson Grove block in week-long heating nightmare. With a newly-refurbished boiler system, young families and pensioners living in a Lisson Grove council block weren’t expecting a litany of problems when the time came to switch the heating on. But with it kicking in from early October, teething problems and a lack of information about keeping the internal plumbing in good working order led to sporadic heating and hot water outages for a week, just a month later. The new boiler system was fitted over 2017 and leaseholders in thecouncil-owned block were given a £10,000 service charge bill for the work.”
We have asked the Street Lighting Team to fix the street lights in Bledlow Close. This is a quiet cul de sac and notorious for ASB and drug dealing. The residents in the area are afraid to leave their homes after sunset, also they feel intimidated going home. We have subsequently found out that these lights are maintained by the Housing Department and have urged them to fix them urgently.
We have asked the Housing Department to fix a water leak running down the staircase in Cherwell House between the 3rd and 4th floors.
We have asked the Council if it would be possible to relocate the ‘Cyclist Dismount’ sign on the north entrance to the Canal walkway. The sign currently defaces and covers up part of the artwork to the canal gateway and this is quite unnecessary.
As part of National Tree Week, we are supporting the need for more trees in the area. Trees help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions: trees create more space for nature, supporting hundreds of species of insects, birds and mammals. Trees are also great for public health, helping clean the air and providing access to nature that’s important for our wellbeing.
If you have any locations where you would like to see extra trees planted please let us know.
Climate Change Tips for the month
- Switch to renewable energy.Choose companies who offer 100% green electricity, as well as those who oppose fracking and are making efforts to end the use of fossil fuels. Some recommended suppliers are Ecotricity, Good Energy and Octopus.
- Bring your own containers for lunches and takeaways.Everyone knows about reusable coffee cups, but what about re-usable lunchboxes or takeaway containers? Bring your own when picking up food from takeaway outlets and pack your lunch in reusable containers. You can buy reusable sandwich wraps that have an inner lining that’s washable and a velcro fastener to keep your sandwich intact. Alternatively, use baking paper instead of cling film or tin foil.
Refuse collection and Recycling collection times
You can check when refuse and recycling is collected from your street here http://transact.westminster.gov.uk/env/streetsearch.aspx
The doorstep recycling service concentrates on the recyclable materials most commonly produced by houses so that these can be easily separated into the different material types. The link below summarises what can be put in recycling bags
Lots of other materials can be recycled but not through the doorstep collection service. The A-Z list below gives details of what and where items can be recycled or re-used:
The new Report It service has been unveiled. Let us know what you think https://www.westminster.gov.uk/report-it
Please let us know if we can be of help or assistance on any local issues.
Councillors Aicha Less, Matt Noble and Aziz Toki
Your Church Street Labour Councillors