Westminster Labour has called for action by the NHS to save the Grade II listed Samaritan Hospital for Women on Marylebone Road which is visibly decaying since it was abandoned over 20 years ago in 1997.
According to the press:
“In addition to its boarded up-windows there are trees growing from the brickwork and the pipes. Even the stairs are moss covered and the windows are either blocked or too grimy to see through. The gutters are overflowing and the basement level has accumulated leaves and rubbish.
Outside the door is an ashtray along with a sign stating “No Smoking”. Although faded and battered, the ashtray still stands, much like the rest of the once-magnificent hospital.
A weather-beaten sign above the door states that the hospital has relocated to St Mary’s NHS Trust in Praed Street.
As a maternity and gynaecology centre for more than 100 years, it is likely hundreds of thousands of Londoners were born there.
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust are the owners of the building and admitted in an FOI request in 2017 that the “building is not currently fit for occupation”.
Built in 1889, the hospital voluntarily joined the NHS at its inception in 1948.”